Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Salem League 8/20/13: Sans Francisco

With Francisco missing the night due to a work conflict and a low tide sucking additional spirit from the evening, I can't say I was too excited about racing.  However, the beautiful weather and the fact that Ed relented and allowed us to run an all-water version of course #3 helped stoke my competitive fires.  We'd run the course in reverse - out past Black Rocks, around Coney Island, and back to Lynch Park.

Although regulars Kirk and Bill couldn't make it, Graeme Rockett showed up for a guest appearance in his V12.  At the start, Ken jumped out uncharacteristically fast, and maintained a stiff pace towards Black Rocks.  I pulled ahead after a few minutes, but as I made the turn towards Coney, I saw that Ken, Mike, and Matt were not very far behind.

The trip to Coney went pretty smoothly until I got within a quarter mile or so, at which point some odd standing waves threw me off my rhythm.  After successfully making it around the island, I expected to get a fair amount of help from the tide and light wind heading home, but the promised subsidies never really materialized.  I slogged back to base to take the win, followed by Ken and Mike.  Here are the full results.

Greg Lesher Epic V10 (New) 0:39:45 12
Ken Cooper Epic V10 Sport (New) 0:41:17 11
Mike McDonough Huki S1-X 0:41:33 10
Matt Drayer Epic V8 0:42:00 9
Graeme Rockett Epic V12 0:43:52 8
Bruce Deltorchio Think Evo II 0:46:00 7
Mary Beth Gangloff Huki S1-R 0:53:00 12

Just one week left, after which I guess I'll have no choice but to return to watching reruns of The Jeffersons on my Tuesday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment